1. Preheat the oven to 220C/200C Fan/Gas Mark 7.
2. Boil or steam the broccoli until slightly tender.
3. In a separate pan, melt the butter over a low-medium heat.
4. Add the flour and cook for around one minute, stirring constantly.
5. Gradually begin adding the milk, whisking constantly until you have a smooth sauce. Continue to cook until the sauce has begun to thicken and then remove from the heat.
6. Add the cheese, mustard, salt and some black pepper, and stir until melted and fully combined.
7. Arrange the cooked broccoli in a small ovenproof dish and pour over the sauce.
8. In a small bowl, combine the freshly grated parmesan, the breadcrumbs and a little more seasoning, before scattering over the broccoli and cheese sauce mixture.
8. Bake in the oven for around 25 minutes until sauce is bubbling well and the gratin topping is golden brown.
9. Serve your Tenderstem Broccoli Gratin alongside your favourite meat dish.
Kenwood Kids Club are delighted to be supporting Veg Power’s Eat Them to Defeat Them 2021, with a selection of vegetable-based recipes in line with the campaign’s weekly ‘veggie villain’. We hope you enjoy ‘defeating’ broccoli with Mr Baker’s delicious Tenderstem Broccoli Gratin – don’t forget to share your results with us!