1. Begin by placing the stock in a pan over a medium heat and bring to the boil, before reducing the heat and allowing to simmer.
2. In a separate large pan, melt the butter over a low heat.
3. Slice the onion into small chunks, before adding to the butter and cooking until translucent (up to ten minutes).
4. Next, add the uncooked rice to the butter and onion mixture, stirring thoroughly until the rice is evenly distributed and coated with the butter.
5. Increase the heat to medium and allow to cook for around one minute, before adding the wine (if using). Continue to stir until the liquid has mostly disappeared.
6. Begin adding the vegetable stock to the rice mixture, 2-3 ladles at a time, stirring regularly. As the liquid is absorbed, continue to add the stock in regular intervals. This will take up to 30 minutes, but be patient – it’s worth it!
7. After most of the stock has been added, taste the rice. You are looking for a tender consistency, with a little bite right at the centre. You may not need to use all of the stock.
8. Finally, add the parmesan and the frozen peas, stirring them through the mixture, before removing the pan from the heat and allowing it to stand for around five minutes.
9. Give the risotto a final stir and then ladle into bowls, topping with a handful of watercress, the sliced chicken and another generous helping of freshly grated parmesan.
Kenwood Kids Club are delighted to be supporting Veg Power’s Eat Them to Defeat Them 2021, with a selection of vegetable-based recipes in line with the campaign’s weekly ‘veggie villain’. We hope you enjoy ‘defeating’ peas with Mr Baker’s delicious Pea Risotto – don’t forget to share your results with us!